Sunday, January 4, 2009

Update on Newbrough clan

Samantha is now almost two weeks old and to my eyes, growing and changing daily. She is a great baby and seems to fall into a routine fairly easy with the nursing and sleeping. She is also a strong little girl. She is already pulling that head up during tummy time and she is also incredibly alert - while she can't see far yet, she seems to be taking in the whole world. Is it fascinating to see her looking about, like she is still trying to figure out this crazy place.

I am just starting to feel "normal." After the soreness with stitches and breastfeeding. Yes, ladies - no one tells you that initially it feels like the baby is gnawing your nipple off!! For days my toes curled and I had to hold on the arms of the chair to brace myself for the whole feeding. Luckily, that too passes over time. Though the initial latch, still takes my breath away. ;)

I had a nasty bought with mastitis recently and that was quite painful. After struggling with a 102-103 degree fever for several days, the doctor put me on an antibiotic that seems to have really helped.

My parents left on Friday and I bawled more than I think I ever had. It was incredibly sad to see them go. After my father's ordeal and the immense support and help that they had been, I just wanted to grab on to them and beg them to stay, but the little bit of pride and adulthood that I had at that moment won out. I must say though, that I could not have done this without them. My mother esp, is SUPERWOMAN. There were many days that I could barely pull my head off of the pillow except to nurse, and she just handled everything. She cooked, cleaned, did laundry, helped with baby and babied me. She was my lifeline and words cannot express how much that meant to me.

When they left, the reality that I am now on my own hit hard but it was a necessary blow. Keith has been working the last two days, but I am really proud to say that we are doing well. Samantha and I are figuring it all out and I am trying to learn how to rest when she does, and at other times get some things done when she is sleeping. For example, she is sleeping now so I got my first shower in a couple of days, put away laundry, etc. With each day, I know I will learn how to balance it all even better. And it is amazing that now matter how little sleep you might get, you still feel so blessed and when you look at her you fall in love over and over again. This truly is the most amazing time of my life, despite the challenges. I feel so blessed.

Keith has also proven to be an amazing father. It is so wonderful seeing her in his arms and seeing just how much he loves her. We are definitely a family now. Even Sadie is great with Samantha and gives her forehead kisses. It is precious.

Thanks again for all of your support and love. As things are getting back to normal, we hope to see you all and get to introduce even more of you to our baby girl.



1 comment:

Heather Dawson said...

Hi Dana! So fun to read your update... I can sympathize with the despair you felt as your mom left. That is truly the saddest day -- to know that you don't have that lifeline any longer. I can't wait to get back in town and see you guys!! We'll be back on the 14th -- we're excited to help with anything you need! Even if it's just lunch over at out house and some real conversations with an adult!