Monday, March 29, 2010

Baptism

When the Marshalls were here, we took them with us to our new church, Northview, for Sunday service.  It was a wonderful service that was incredibly moving. 

At the end of the service, Pastor Steve Poe did an all-call out to the congregation asking for whoever wanted to be baptized to come on down. 

Now, let me regress...two weekends prior there were scheduled baptisms at Northview.  But after the scheduled baptisms, the pastor challenged anyone that had been hesitating or had wanted a new life in Christ to just come on down.  Hundreds of people got up out of their seat, and went down to be baptized.  It was the most moving thing I have ever seen!  I cannot explain the feeling that swept over me - more than just emotion watching people, but God truly telling me to get up out of my seat and GO!  It truly took force to stay in my seat - why I did, I can't explain - except for thinking that since I had been baptized as a child, that perhaps the pastor wasn't referring to me.  However, when I left that Sunday after church, I truly felt like I had disobeyed God.  The feeling stayed with me for days!

When he did an all-call this weekend, I was in tears and again (I know human stubborness) struggled with the decision.  You see I was baptized (immersed) at the age of around 7 - but truly I cannot tell you much about that moment, other than the white gown and going under - I can't tell you about the emotion or making the decision because I truly wanted change.  But, being baptized as an adult I think means even more - I am consciously understanding the decision, the emotion and the hard work that change means in God.  So, when Vicki proclaimed she was going, that was the push God gave me.  Nothing could have stopped me - I was so excited!  To make it even better, Keith, Logan and Haley joined us.  We went behind the stage, changed in the clothes provided and walked out together.  It was one of the most moving and best decisions I have made in my life!

I wish my family and friends could have been there.  But, here are some videos of the moment.  Thank you Vicki for having the courage I didn't and for being the push that made me do something that I have wanted to do for SO long!  To my Crosspoint family, I wish I hadn't of put it off when I was there - it would have meant so much to have you by my side.  I think God knew my hesitation and knew it had be in the moment, not scheduled - for me to just go!

Amazingly, in two weekends at our church - 565 people were baptized.  Now, that is a blessing!

What a great way to start this new chapter of my life, right before I turn 30! :)



1 comment:

MARY IN SCOTLAND said...

Congratulations Dana and Keith! What an experience!

It sounds like your new church is doing amazing things for you. You are such an example. I need to work more on my goals I have for this yr to get closer to God. Thanks for the reminder!