Thursday, July 16, 2009

My Princess Charming

Okay, it has taken me 29 years, but I have finally gotten this whole romance thing figured out! As little girls, we all get swept up in Disney and the prince on the white horse. That false dream has left many of us women completely devastated...men like that don't exist!

Romance is not like in the movies... it isn't easy, it isn't perfect and I have yet to have Keith dance with me in a dark street (Notebook), sing about his love to me (High School Musical - yes I went there), write letters to me that bring endless tears (PS I Love You), or chase me across different time periods (Lake House) - have I done something wrong, or is it in fact that the movies and yes, my childhood obsession with Disney, has left me bewildered in the romance department. Not, that I don't have an amazing relationship with my husband - I do, he is an incredible man. But, no where in those "ideal romances" is the toilet seat left up, farts heard from the other end of the house, and date night being us trying to make it up past 10 pm (esp. since baby).

However, since Samantha I have learned a couple of things about romance. True love is even better than the movies! True love is your husband holding your hand and encouraging you as you push (and push and push) out his child. True love is your husband watching the baby while you take a much needed shower or bath (smelling like breast milk is SO not good for romance!). True love is your husband never commenting on that fact that his once manicured, preppy, and dressed up wife has now traded heals for tennis shoes, jewelry for breast pads, and cute outfits for the perfect, comfy tee. And let us not get into the now saggy boobs, toneless stomach, and that fact I swear I am losing my hair since baby!

True love is also never more evident than with your child. No person can ever explain that type of love until you are there. For example, last week alone I was pooped on twice (Sweet Potato poops!!), spit up on countless times, hair pulled out by little inquisitive fingers, and had several nights where sleep was hard to come by.

Nonetheless, I was still 100% enamored with Samantha. I managed to laugh off the poop and make cleanup into a silly song. Sleepless nights were hard, but I'd pull her out of her crib to comfort her and she'd just fold into me...like she was saying "ahhh...mama's here."

No, life is not always perfect, being a mother and wife can be trying and hard, and I don't always cherish those trying moments when I'm in the moment. But, overall life is really good.

I guess over the years my idea of love and romance has changed. For years I searched for the prince on the white horse, but finally I realized that my cup is truly overflowing. For I have a blessed life with friends, family, the best husband in the world and Samantha as my Princess Charming. :)



2 comments:

afw27 said...

Wow, very nice. Makes me wanna say "Awww," but, I'm too much of a guy to do that. (Grunt.) You totally missed the part where he dances and the buckle comes off and hits you. (That seems more like something you would do though.

My friend once said a joke about how every woman is in love with the "fairytale man." He asked a girl in the audience if she thought Captain Sparrow was hot. She said yes, and he went on to ask if she found a number of other characters attractive, she agreed with everyone, and in the end, she was asked what they all had in common. She, like others, were not able to see that they were all fictitious, no man can compete with that kind of standard. (Not even if you're a Somalian pirate.)

Heather Dawson said...

Oh, what a nice post! So very true... It sure makes you love your husband THAT MUCH MORE when you see him be a good father to your kids.